Being in a car accident can be a terrifying experience, especially if you are injured. Unfortunately, with so many cars on the road in America, the reality is that thousands of people are injured every year in car wrecks.
While we recommend obeying traffic laws and practicing defensive driving to reduce your chances of an accident, sometimes accidents happen that are not your fault. If you drive frequently, it’s helpful to know what to do if you are ever in an accident.
Below are some of the steps you can take if you are in an automobile accident:
- Stay at the scene and make sure you are okay. If you’re hurt, call 911 or ask someone on the scene to do it. If you think you’re seriously injured, stay put and wait for help to arrive.
- Check on all drivers and passengers in your vehicle (if you’re not injured). Call 911 or ask a bystander for help.
- Find a safe place. If your car is in a dangerous place and you can move it off the road, do so. If it is too dangerous to move, then turn your hazard lights on and get yourself to a safe place away from oncoming traffic.
- Call the police. Even if the accident is just a fender-bender and nobody is injured, call 911 and wait for the police to arrive. If there is any chance you will file a claim afterwards, the police report will be an importance piece of evidence in your case.
- Exchange information. If no one is seriously injured or in harm’s way, then exchange contact information with the other drivers involved. You will want their names, numbers, insurance company and policy numbers, and their driver license number. You should also take down important information like their license plate number, descriptions of their vehicle and the location of the accident.
- Photos. If you can, take pictures of the vehicles, the accident scene, and anything else that you think might help explain who caused the accident.
If you were injured in a car accident because of another driver’s negligence, consider hiring a Texas car accident attorney to help you with your claim. Car accidents claims can be complicated and having an experienced lawyer on your side often makes the difference between winning and losing a case.
Contact a knowledgeable car accident attorney in Texas
Since 1970, Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers have been fighting for our clients in all types of personal injury cases.Our lawyers have significant trial experience and will fight for the maximum compensation you deserve. If you or a loved one was in a car accident and suffered an injury, give us a call today at (281) 645-5000 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys. We’re on your side.