Every state in America requires drivers to carry at least a minimum of liability auto insurance. Unfortunately, there are still many people who put themselves and other drivers at risk by driving without insurance.
In Texas, the numbers of uninsured drivers is even higher than in most states.If you drive frequently in the state of Texas, you should know what to do if you are ever in a car accident with an uninsured driver.
Below are some of the steps to take if you get into an accident with an uninsured driver:
- Call the police. After checking to make sure you are not injured, and that all other drivers and passengers are safe, you should call the police and wait at the scene of the accident. Do not leave before the police arrive.
- Don’t accept money. It’s very common for uninsured drivers to offer money to pay for the damage to your vehicle. If a driver offers you money, don’t accept it.
- Swap information. Although you can’t get the driver’s insurance information, since there is none, you will want their name, number, address, driver’s license number, plate numbers and any other information that can help you contact them in the future.
- Witnesses. If there are witnesses on the scene, take their information so that you can contact them in the future. You can also ask them if they’d be willing to give a statement about what they saw.
- Take pictures. If you can, take photos of all the vehicles that were involved in the accident. Also take pictures of the license plates, as well as the location the accident occurred and any relevant traffic signs or signals. If you decide to file a lawsuit, pictures are often the best evidence you can provide.
- Check your insurance. Many insurance companies offer uninsured motorist coverage that will protect you when you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, a hit-and-run, or with a driver who has minimal coverage.
Trying to recover a claim to pay for damages and injuries after an accident with an uninsured driver can be difficult. We recommend you contact an experienced auto accident lawyer to discuss the process.
Contact an experienced auto accident attorney in Houston
Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers have nearly half a century of experience representing Texans in all types of personal injury matters. Our lawyers have significant trial experience in both state and federal courts and are known for being aggressive negotiators and trial lawyers who fight for maximum compensation for our clients.
If you’ve been involved in an auto accident and suffered a personal injury because of the negligence of another party, give us a call today at (281) 645-5000 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys.