Securing Full And Fair Compensation For 18-Wheeler Accident Damages And Losses
Achieving Comprehensive Compensation for 18-Wheeler Accident Damages and Losses
Accidents involving large trucks frequently lead to significant property damage, severe injuries, and, in some cases, fatalities. The immense size and weight of commercial trucks mean that any collision with a passenger vehicle can result in catastrophic outcomes.
If you’ve been involved in a truck accident in Houston, you may be eligible for compensation covering medical expenses, lost income, property damage, emotional distress, and other related costs.
At Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers, our seasoned Houston truck accident attorneys have successfully represented numerous victims. We’re known for securing substantial settlements promptly and efficiently.
The intricacies of 18-wheeler accident cases are considerable. Navigating this challenging legal landscape alone can be overwhelming.
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident due to someone else’s negligence, don’t hesitate to contact a Houston injury lawyer. Our expertise and guidance can be pivotal in securing the compensation you deserve.
Why You Need a Lawyer After an 18 Wheeler/ Truck Accident in Houston
Seeking legal counsel after any motor vehicle accident is crucial, and this holds especially true for truck accidents in Houston. These incidents, often involving multiple parties, can result in catastrophic injuries and significant losses.
At Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers, our Houston truck accident attorneys specialize in handling cases involving a variety of trucks and large commercial vehicles, such as:
- 18 wheelers
- Dump trucks
- Fuel trucks
- Concrete trucks
- Box trucks
- Cargo trucks
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Texas
The increasing demand for the transportation of goods has led to a rise in 18-wheeler accidents in Houston and surrounding areas, a key hub in Texas’ trucking industry. Common causes of these accidents, often rooted in negligence, include:
- Truck driver fatigue
- Errors by the truck driver
- Violating Hours-of-Service (HOS) regulations
- Excessive speeding
- Non-adherence to road rules
- Failure to account for blind spots
- Mechanical failures, such as brake issues
- Road debris
- Tire malfunctions
- Driving under the influence
- Unsecured or shifting cargo
- Unsafe driving practices
- Inadequate safety inspections
Truck driver fatigue often tops the list of causes in accidents involving a passenger vehicle, along with mechanical defects in the truck itself.
Common Types of Semi-Truck Accidents
Investigations into serious truck collisions in Houston frequently reveal negligence. Some of the most common types of truck accidents include:
- Truck Rollovers
- Jackknife Crashes
- Trailer Detachment
- Drive Under/Under Ride Accidents
- Wide Turn Accidents
- Falling Cargo
Given the complexity and high stakes of 18-wheeler accident cases, having an experienced Houston truck accident lawyer is essential. If you’re involved in such an accident, contact an attorney who can thoroughly investigate and strive for maximum compensation.
Serious 18-Wheeler Crash Injuries in Houston
In the U.S., 18-wheeler accidents are responsible for a significant portion of traffic fatalities. The injuries sustained in accidents involving 18-wheelers and passenger vehicles are often severe and life-altering.
Types of Injuries Common in Houston 18-Wheeler Crashes
Vehicular collisions, especially with 18-wheelers, can lead to severe injuries or fatalities in seconds due to the immense force these large trucks can exert. If you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury or lost a loved one in such an accident in Houston, you are entitled to full compensation for past, present, and future damages and injuries. The key to securing the compensation you deserve is through the representation of an experienced Houston personal injury attorney.
At Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers, we are committed to maximizing your compensation for serious injuries sustained in an 18-wheeler accident. Common injuries we often see include:
– Spinal Cord Injuries: These range from neck and back injuries to crushed vertebrae, potentially causing partial or complete paralysis. Such damage is usually permanent and may worsen over time, often requiring lifelong specialized care.
– Back Injuries: The forces in a collision with an 18-wheeler can cause chronic back pain, misaligned vertebrae, and fractured spinal bones.
– Pelvic Bone Injuries: These injuries are common due to the intense pressure from seat belts, airbags, and other restraints.
– Amputations: The severe impact trauma in these accidents sometimes necessitates emergency amputation services or results in the loss of limbs at the scene.
– Chest and Abdominal Injuries: Broken ribs and the weight of 18-wheelers can damage the lungs and heart, requiring surgery and potentially leading to lasting impairments in lung capacity and heart function.
– Head Injuries: These can be severe, involving skull fractures, brain swelling, or direct brain tissue injury, often resulting in memory loss, cognitive decline, or even loss of speech and language skills. In some cases, they may also cause blindness.
– Abdominal Injuries: These may require surgeries like emergency sectioning or reconstruction of the digestive system, often leading to lifelong dietary restrictions and nutrient absorption issues.
– Internal Organ Damage: This can be catastrophic, requiring multiple surgeries or even transplants, with some patients needing ongoing medical treatment.
– Internal Bleeding: Often not immediately apparent, this underscores the importance of prompt medical treatment after a truck accident.
– Soft Tissue Damage and Broken Bones: These injuries may require extensive rehabilitation, causing significant financial strain due to medical bills and loss of income.
If involved in an 18-wheeler crash in Houston, it’s crucial to speak with a qualified Texas 18-wheeler accident lawyer as soon as possible to protect your rights and ensure maximum compensation for your injuries.
Federal & Houston Trucking Regulations
Trucking regulations in Houston and at the federal level are stringent, with high safety standards and insurance requirements due to the severe risks posed by heavy trucks. If you’re involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler, legal expertise in these regulations is essential. Our team is experienced in countering the tactics of insurance and trucking defense teams and in conducting thorough investigations to hold negligent parties accountable.
The Importance of a Thorough Investigation in Houston Truck Accidents
In Houston, trucking companies and their drivers are bound by stringent state and federal regulations, including those governing driving hours, vehicle licensing, tracking, safety inspections, hiring practices, and insurance coverage. Conducting a meticulous investigation immediately after an 18-wheeler accident is crucial. Our Houston truck accident attorneys will document evidence from the scene, tracking points like where the vehicle’s contents were loaded, maintenance history, and the practices of the operating company.
With time, vital evidence can vanish, making immediate action imperative. If you were involved in a commercial truck accident recently or even months ago, seeking legal counsel is still advisable. You may be entitled to substantial damages if negligence played a role in your injuries.
Fair Settlement For Truck Accident Injuries in Houston
18-wheelers, while essential for the economy, pose significant risks to other road users due to their size and limited maneuverability. If you’re involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler in Houston, you need skilled representation to secure the compensation you deserve.
Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers, with decades of experience in Houston and across Texas, specialize in representing 18-wheeler accident victims. We have a track record of recovering substantial amounts for our clients.
Tips for Securing Your Maximum Settlement or Jury Award in Houston
– Avoid discussing the incident with the trucking company’s representatives or insurance adjusters, as they may attempt to use your words against you.
– Seek medical attention promptly and accurately report your injuries. Follow up with specialists as recommended.
– Do not share your medical records with the trucking company’s insurance adjusters.
– Consult an experienced 18-wheeler accident attorney for a thorough investigation.
– Document the accident scene and your vehicle’s damage before repairs.
– Keep all bills and receipts related to the accident.
– Maintain a daily record of your health and recovery, including photographs and written descriptions.
– Adhere to all medical advice and attend all scheduled appointments.
How Can the Trucking Company Be Responsible?
Trucking companies sometimes prioritize profits over safety, encouraging practices that endanger other road users. Our lawyers understand these dynamics and are prepared to challenge such policies to establish the company’s liability in your accident.
The Risks of Speeding and Fatigued Driving in Houston 18-Wheeler Accidents
Trucking companies in Houston often impose tight deadlines, compelling drivers to resort to speeding or near-constant driving, risking fatigue. This practice endangers other motorists by increasing the likelihood of accidents due to tiredness or speeding.
Violating Hours-of-Service Rules
The practice of encouraging truck drivers to exceed legal driving hours is not just unethical but also illegal. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) mandates strict hours-of-service rules, like capping driving time to 11 hours following 10 consecutive off-duty hours. Neglecting these regulations, such as skipping truck inspections, can lead to mechanical failures and accidents.
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident in Houston, it’s crucial to have an experienced attorney who understands the complexities of 18-wheeler collisions. Contact us for immediate legal assistance.
Filing an 18-Wheeler Truck Accident Claim in Houston
In collisions involving smaller vehicles and 18-wheelers, the smaller vehicle occupants often suffer severe injuries and property damage. To seek compensation, it’s essential to file a claim with the at-fault truck driver’s insurance company.
However, insurance companies can make this process challenging. It’s vital for crash victims to thoroughly document the incident and consult an 18-wheeler accident lawyer promptly. Writing down every detail about the collision, injuries, and taking notes at the scene offers invaluable insight that complements the official police report.
Acting as Your Own Investigator
At the crash scene, collecting witness information, photographing damages and injuries, and gathering evidence of negligence is critical. This information forms the foundation for filing a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance.
After notifying the at-fault driver’s insurance and beginning the claims process, you may receive a settlement offer. However, these initial offers often undervalue your rightful compensation, especially concerning non-economic damages like emotional distress and psychological suffering.
The Importance of a Houston Truck Accident Lawyer
Insurance companies typically aim to minimize payouts. For victims entitled to non-economic damages, securing fair compensation can be particularly challenging without legal expertise. A qualified Texas truck accident lawyer will know how to negotiate effectively and, if necessary, fight in court to protect your rights.
Contact Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers in Houston
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, our Houston-based legal team at Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers is equipped to help. We specialize in truck accident cases, ensuring your rights are safeguarded, and you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries, lost wages, and more.
For a free and confidential consultation about your case, contact us at (281) 645-5000. Let our experienced truck accident lawyers take on the burden, allowing you to focus on recovery.