Whether you are driving to work, taking your kids to school, or taking a road trip, safety should always be on the top of your mind when you are behind the wheel. Unfortunately, even when we are safe and responsible drivers, accidents can happen. In fact, in 2018, 4.5 million Americans were seriously injured in car accidents.
Back injuries are among the most common types of injuries reported after car accidents. Even a fender-bender can cause back injuries, as your body isn’t designed to absorb the impact of a car accident – even at low speeds.
Let’s review some common back injuries, as well as what to do if you’ve suffered an injury during an accident.
Some common types of back injuries
- One of the most common causes of spinal fractures is car accidents. A spinal fracture is a break in one or more of the 33 vertebrae that protect your spinal cord. Treatment depends on the severity and location of the fracture, but can range from bed rest for minor fractures to surgery for more serious breaks.
- Herniated discs occur when the discs that cushion the vertebrae protrude into the spinal canal. As a result, the disc presses on the spinal cord and may cause intense pain for the victim.
- Any damage to the spinal cord can result in permanent changes in strength and bodily functions, including paralysis. According to the Mayo Clinic, serious spinal cord injuries may not be immediately obvious so you should always be examined by a doctor after a car accident.
- Back sprains occur when the ligaments in your back are overextended resulting in stretches or tears in the tissue. The impact of a car accident can cause abrupt overextension resulting in back sprains, which may led to pain, stiffness, and limited mobility.
- Back strains are injuries to the muscles or tendons in your back. Like a sprain, a back strain can be caused by the unnatural movement of your body during a car accident.
When you suffer injury in an accident caused by the negligent or reckless actions of another driver, you deserve fair compensation. An experienced Texas car accident attorney can provide the skilled legal guidance that you need.
Consult a knowledgeable Texas attorney
Getting the best possible compensation for our clients is our primary goal. To learn more about how Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers can help you, please contact us online or call us at (281) 645-5000 to schedule a free consultation.