Types of Auto Insurance You May Want in Texas

All drivers in Texas are required to carry auto insurance. With all the factors that are out of our control on the road, there are many situations that are simply unavoidable, even for the most responsible drivers. Carrying insurance isn’t counting on something bad happening; rather, it’s preparing adequately so that you are protected when one of these unavoidable situations occurs.

Under Texas law, we must meet certain basic minimums when it comes to being able to pay for accidents we cause. Most people carry liability insurance coverage to satisfy this requirement: $30,000 per injured person, $60,000 per accident or incident, and $25,000 to cover property damage. This is often annotated as 30/60/25 coverage.

Unfortunately, 30/60/25 coverage frequently comes nowhere near being enough, especially when catastrophic injuries are involved, so most responsible drivers carry liability policies that go beyond the bare minimum required. Additionally, their policies are more expansive in the types of insurance they include. Whether you are a new driver, are reviewing your own policy, or considering expanding your coverage, keep in mind the following types of insurance you may way to include in your policy:

      • Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage – Also known as UM/UIM, this type of coverage protects you if you are hit or otherwise in an accident with a driver who does not carry any insurance or who carries the minimum 30/60/25 coverage. If you are seriously injured, the minimum required insurance may not begin to cover your medical bills. You can also file a claim for your UM/UIM coverage if you are the victim of a hit-and-run.
      • Personal injury protection – Typically referred to as PIP coverage, personal injury protection is an extension of other coverages that pays for a wider range of expenses you might face due to an injury, such as reimbursement for lost wages, childcare costs, occupational therapy, etc.
      • Gap insurance – Gap coverage exists for situations in which your car is totaled in an accident (or stolen) and you owe more on it than its current value. Your gap insurance will pay off the difference between what you owe on your auto loan and the total loss settlement you receive.
      • Medical payment coverage – Also known as medpay, medical payment insurance offers more robust coverage of your injury and associated medical costs at the time of the initial accident and in the long term. This include hospital costs, charges for ambulance and emergency services, long term physical therapy treatments, etc.

Talk to a knowledgeable Texas auto accident attorney if you’ve been in an accident

If you were hurt in a car accident and have questions about your auto insurance policy’s coverage or about the compensation to which you are entitled, contact Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers online or call (281) 645-5000 to schedule a free consultation.