League City Truck Accident Lawyers
SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY
Securing Full And Fair Compensation For 18-Wheeler Accident Damages And Losses
Accidents involving large trucks often result in extensive property damage, serious injuries, and even death. Due to the sheer size and weight of a commercial truck, collisions with passenger vehicles can have devastating consequences.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, property damage, emotional pain and suffering, and other associated costs.
At Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers, our experienced League City truck accident lawyers have fought for the rights of countless victims, and we have an impressive track record of obtaining substantial settlements in a timely manner.
18 wheeler accident cases can be extremely complex; don’t attempt to navigate this stressful process on your own.
Contact a League City injury lawyer today if you have been injured in a truck accident due to the negligence of another.
Why You Need a Lawyer After an 18 Wheeler/ Truck Accident in League City
It is in your best interest to seek legal counsel after any type of motor vehicle accident, but this is particularly true of truck accidents, which often involve multiple parties and may result in catastrophic injuries and losses.
At Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers, our League City truck accident attorneys handle cases involving all types of trucks and large, commercial vehicles, including:
- School buses
- Tow trucks
- Moving trucks
- Cargo trucks
- Fuel trucks
- Concrete trucks
- Box trucks
What Causes Most Truck Accidents in Texas
Unfortunately, 18-wheeler accidents cause a significant number of personal injury and wrongful death claims each year. With increasing demands for goods and services to be moved by large, commercial trucks, the number of 18-wheeler accidents is on the rise. League City, Galveston, and the Greater Houston area, encompass a regional transportation hub.
As a result, South Texas is becoming one of the busiest 18-wheeler trucking regions in the country, resulting in an increase in tractor-trailer accidents, which often have disastrous consequences. There are myriad causes of 18-wheeler accidents, but those that involve negligence commonly include:
- Truck driver fatigue
- Truck driver error
- Violations of Hours-of-Service (HOS) rules
- Excessive speed
- Failure to follow rules of the road
- Failure to properly accommodate blind spots
- Brake failure or other mechanical failure
- Debris or articles in the road
- Tire failure or separation
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Unsecured cargo or freight shifting in the payload section
- Unsafe driving practices
- Inadequate safety inspections
The leading cause of 18-wheeler accidents involving a passenger vehicle is truck driver fatigue. Defects in the 18-wheeler truck itself are also a major contributor to accidents; faulty tires, wheels, brakes, engine/transmission, steering wheel, lights and trailer are frequently cited in injury claims involving large trucks.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
As detailed above, truck accidents occur for myriad reasons. Investigations into serious collisions frequently reveal negligent, careless, or reckless behavior. Some of the most common types of truck accidents include:
- Truck Rollovers—These frequently-deadly accidents occur when a truck loses stability and veers out of control. Rollovers are often caused by tire blowouts, and cargo overloading or improper cargo storage.
- Jackknife Crashes—If a driver slams on the brakes or otherwise loses control of the trailer, its back end may swing around, forming a 90-degree angle known as a jackknife. This can cause serious damage to the truck itself, and serious injury or death to drivers and passengers in oncoming traffic.
- Trailer Detachment—When a malfunctioning of faulty hitch unexpectedly releases the trailer while the truck is in motion or during impact with another vehicle, collisions can be impossible to avoid.
- Drive Under/ Under Ride Accidents —Among the most fatal accidents involving large trucks, under ride truck crashes occur when a smaller vehicle slides under the truck during a rear-end or T-bone collision.
- Wide Turn Accidents—Due to their sheer weight and size, tractor-trailers need to swing out wide when turning. Smaller vehicles can easily get sideswiped, or squeezed between the truck and guardrail / highway embankment.
- Falling cargo—When overloaded or improperly secured freight breaks free and falls out of the truck’s trailer, serious injury and death may occur.
18-wheeler accident cases are extremely complicated and aggressively defended due to the high costs at stake. If you are involved in an 18-wheeler accident, it is vital to contact an experienced League City truck accident attorney who can fully investigate the possible causes and fight for the maximum compensation available to you.
Regardless of the cause of the accident, you may be entitled to compensation. In Texas, this is true even if you were partially responsible. As a modified comparative negligence state, as long as your percentage of fault is not greater than 50 percent, you will likely be entitled to some damages. However, compensation will be reduced based on your percentage of fault.
Contact Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers today at (281) 645-5000 for a free and confidential consultation about your case. Our truck accident lawyers are located in League City, we serve clients throughout Texas including Galveston, League City and the Greater Houston area.
Serious 18-Wheeler Crash Injuries in League City
In the U.S., 18-wheeler accidents account for one out of every eight traffic deaths. In fact, 18-wheeler accident injuries involving passenger vehicles are among the most catastrophic, life-changing personal injuries a person can suffer.
Types of Injuries Common in 18-Wheeler Crashes
Any type of vehicular collision can produce serious injuries. But the mass of 18-wheeler trucks can generate force capable of causing catastrophic injury or death in a matter of seconds. If you have suffered a catastrophic injury or have lost a loved one, you deserve full compensation for past, present and future damages and injuries. The only way to secure the compensation you rightly deserve is with the representation of an experienced League City personal injury attorney.
At Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers, we will work tirelessly to maximize your compensation for serious injuries in an 18-wheeler accident. Some of the most common injuries we see include:
- Spinal cord injuries can range from neck and back injuries to crushed vertebrae, causing damage to this vital nervous system network. Partial or complete paralysis can result from injuries to the spinal cord. Because this damage cannot be repaired, the resulting paralysis is generally permanent and may become progressively worse over time. Many patients with spinal cord trauma require specialized nursing care for the rest of their lives.
- For accident victims lucky enough to escape direct spinal cord injury, the forces typically present in a collision with an 18-wheeler can cause chronic back pain and may result in misaligned vertebrae, trauma to the lower back, and fractured bones throughout the spinal column.
- Pelvic bone injuries are also common in all types of motor vehicle accidents due to the intense pressure on this area caused by seat belts, air bags and other restraint devices.
- The weight and forward momentum of 18-wheeler trucks during an accident increases the likelihood that the 18-wheeler victim will require emergency amputation services upon arrival at the hospital. In some cases, accident victims may suffer loss of limbs or crushed bones at the scene of the car crash due to severe impact trauma. Immediate medical care is required in these situations to prevent death due to blood loss.
- Damage to the lungs and heart can result from broken ribs and the crushing weight of 18-wheeler trucks that can come to rest atop passenger vehicles. Surgery is usually required to repair the damage to the heart muscle and to restore proper function to injured lungs. However, the scar tissue that develops as these organs heal can result in permanent reductions in the lung capacity and heart function of accident victims.
- Head injuries caused by 18-wheeler accidents are usually quite severe and may involve fractures of the skull, swelling of the tissues and connective membranes surrounding the brain or direct injury to brain tissue due to severe impact at the time of the collision. Individuals affected by these injuries often experience memory loss, a decline in cognitive function and, in some cases, loss of speech and language skills. Damage to the optic nerves or brain can also cause blindness.
- Injuries to the abdomen may require emergency sectioning of the small or large colon or reconstruction of the stomach to allow the digestive system to regain function. Many 18-wheeler victims who undergo these procedures experience lifelong difficulties that may reduce their ability to absorb nutrients and can restrict their food choices significantly.
- The damage caused to internal organs in a crash involving an 18-wheeler truck can be catastrophic and may require multiple surgeries to repair. Some patients may require transplants or medical treatment to replace the function of the liver or kidneys after an 18-wheeler accident.
- Internal bleeding is also common due to the severe trauma caused by the impact. It should also be noted that internal bleeding may not produce visible injuries or symptoms for days or weeks, which is one of the many reasons it is so important to obtain immediate medical treatment after a truck accident, even if you don’t appear to be hurt.
- Flying glass and metal parts can cause catastrophic damage to soft tissues and may require multiple plastic surgery procedures to return the accident victim to an acceptable state. In some cases, patients may be permanently scarred and may suffer social disadvantages due to their disfiguring injuries. Soft-tissue damage is another type of injury that may not produce immediate symptoms.
- Broken bones and damaged muscle tissue may require months of rehabilitation and treatment. Accident victims typically cannot work during this time and may incur significant medical bills, creating serious financial difficulties that can impact the rest of their lives.
In the event of an 18-wheeler crash, the trucking company will send a representative to the scene to speak with victims in an effort to protect the company and driver. When you are injured in an 18-wheeler crash, it is imperative that you speak with a qualified Texas 18-wheeler accident lawyer as soon as possible to protect your rights and ensure maximum compensation for your injuries.
18-Wheeler Crash Facts & Statistics in League City
In the United States, there are approximately two million big-rig trucks. Nationally, about 500,000 accidents involving 18-wheeler trucks occur each year. In those accidents, an estimated 130,000 people are injured every year and 5,000 result in death. It’s also important to note that in about 98 percent of fatal truck accidents, the driver or occupants of the passenger vehicle are killed, not the driver of the 18-wheeler.
In League City and the surrounding areas, these numbers are no less sobering. Texas has a high number of annual injuries and fatalities resulting from 18-wheeler accidents, and injury rates in the Greater Houston area are particularly high.
Statewide, there are approximately 300 fatal 18-wheeler accidents annually, and there are typically over 2,000 related injuries in any given year. Put another way, this is about one injury for every seven accidents and one death for every 50 accidents.
When 18-wheelers are involved in accidents with passenger vehicles, they frequently result in serious injuries or death. If you or someone you love has been injured in an 18-wheeler accident, you need an experienced Texas truck accident attorney on your side to fight for you every step of the way.
At Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers, our team of truck accident attorneys have been representing victims and families throughout Texas, League City, and the Greater Houston area since 1970.
Based in League City, we can get to the scene of your accident quickly, conduct a thorough and independent investigation, and maximize the value of your case for past, present and future damages and losses.
Federal & League City Trucking Regulations
Strict trucking regulations make 18-wheeler accidents different from passenger car accidents from a legal perspective. They include both federal and Texas 18-wheeler regulations, which involve much higher safety standards and require significantly higher amounts of insurance coverage due to the potential for life-altering and fatal injuries when heavy trucks collide with passenger cars and trucks.
If you have been in an accident with an 18-wheeler, legal representation is critical. You need an attorney who is knowledgeable in the particulars of federal and Texas trucking regulations to aggressively protect your rights and fight for the maximum compensation available to you.
- You need an attorney who has fought major trucking companies and insurance companies and won.
- You need representation from a team that can counter the aggressive tactics used by insurance and trucking defense teams.
The Importance of a Thorough Investigation
Trucking companies and their drivers must follow strict state and federal trucking regulations that govern driving hour logbooks, time sheets and other criteria such as:
- Commercial vehicle licensing
- Vehicle tracking
- Safety and maintenance inspections
- Hiring practices
- Driver medical exams
- Insurance coverage
A meticulous investigation is very important immediately following a 18-wheeler accident. Our attorneys will document evidence collected at the accident scene, where the vehicle’s contents were loaded, where vehicle maintenance occurred, and at the offices of the company that owns and operates the truck.
As time goes on, critical evidence disappears, so quick action is essential. Your lawyer will need to immediately collect evidence following the accident to hold the negligent truck driver and company accountable for the injuries they have caused.
That being said, if you were injured days, weeks, or months ago in an accident involving a commercial truck, it is still in your best interest to seek legal counsel. Although your attorney may not be able to collect as much evidence as if he/she was called at the time of the accident, you may still be able to recover substantial damages if negligence played a role in your injuries.
Fair Settlement For Truck Accident Injuries in League City
18-wheelers are a necessary road menace. Companies need them to transport products and keep the economy running efficiently. However, the size, poor stopping abilities and poor maneuverability of large commercial trucks place motorists who share the road with them at substantial risk.
If you are involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler truck, you need guidance and representation to secure the full and fair compensation you deserve. You need a lawyer who will be on your side 100 percent of the time.
Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers has been serving victims and their families with high-caliber legal representation since 1970. Based in League City, we handle cases for 18-wheeler victims throughout Texas, including League City, Galveston and the Greater Houston area, and we have recovered hundreds of millions for our clients.
Tips for Securing Your Maximum Settlement or Jury Award
- After the accident, avoid talking to the trucking company’s lawyers or insurance adjusters. They will try to record the conversation in an attempt to misrepresent your side of the incident.
- Be sure to see a doctor as soon as possible. During your appointment, explain your injuries accurately and follow up with specialists as advised.
- Do not release your medical records to the trucking company’s insurance adjusters.
- Speak with an experienced 18-wheeler accident attorney about thoroughly investigating the incident.
- Photograph the accident site if you can, and wait to have your car repaired until after you have taken pictures of your damaged vehicle.
- Save all your bills and receipts that relate to the accident. For instance, keep your prescription receipts, doctor bills, hospital expense statement, car repair bills and car rental receipts so you will have verification of your total costs.
- Document your health and your recovery daily. Take pictures and write about your condition.
- Follow all medical treatment guidance, and be sure to make it to all your medical appointments as you are able.
How Can the Trucking Company Be Responsible?
It is an unfortunate truth that trucking companies often fail to implement and carry out safe driving standards. In fact, trucking companies may implement policies that actually compel drivers to endanger other people on the road. They do this by placing profits above lives.
Encouraging Speeding or Fatigued Driving
For example, trucking companies put people at risk by requiring their drivers to deliver loads by deadlines that would be impossible to meet without speeding or driving almost constantly. Therefore, other motorists are in danger of overly-tired drivers and those who break the speed limit to keep their jobs.
Violating Hours-of-Service Rules
And encouraging truck drivers to spend excessive hours behind the wheel isn’t only unethical, it’s illegal. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has imposed strict hours-of-service rules to limit the number of hours truckers can spend behind the wheel without a break. Currently, the FMCSA prohibits truck drivers from spending more than 11 hours behind the wheel until they have logged 10 consecutive off-duty hours.
Requiring drivers to make several trips without completing a truck inspection is another way that companies put profits ahead of motorist safety. As a result, an 18-wheeler’s parts may fail and cause an accident.
If you’ve been injured due to the negligence of another, do not attempt to navigate this complex process on your own. Following any accident involving a large truck, seek immediate legal counsel from a League City attorney with extensive experience in 18-wheeler collisions. Contact us today.
How to File an 18 Wheeler Truck Accident Claim
In a collision between a car, truck or van and an 18-wheeler, the individuals in the smaller automobile are likely to be on the losing side. The driver and passengers’ injuries may be devastating, and the damage to property can be catastrophic. Before people can receive monetary compensation for their damages, they will need to file a claim with the at-fault truck driver’s insurance company.
What can add to the pain that people suffer after they have been hit by an 18-wheeler is how insurance companies handle these claims. To make this process easier, those injured in a crash with a large truck need to make sure that they write down in detail everything that they can remember about the collision, any subsequent injuries and immediately contact and 18 wheeler accident lawyer.
After a collision, the police often arrive at the scene and prepare a police report. This will help those who suffer injuries in the crash, but taking their own notes is still going to be necessary. The reason this is the case is because those who are involved in the collision will have insight that the police officer who arrives after the accident will not have.
How to File a Claim for a Collision with an 18-Wheeler
At the scene of the crash, the injured parties are going to have to act as their own detectives. They will need to write down the names and contact information of witnesses, take pictures of the damages, injuries, the crash scene and collect any evidence that can demonstrate that the truck driver was negligent.
With this information, the injured parties will be ready to file a claim with the at-fault truck driver’s insurance company, and the at-fault driver will need to be informed that this is the injured parties’ intention.
Those injured will also need to tell the at-fault truck drivers’ insurance companies that they will be filing a claim for damages. This is usually handled by the insurance company that provides coverage for the driver of the vehicle that was hit by the 18 wheeler.
After following the insurance companies’ claims process, the injured parties may receive a call from the companies’ claims adjusters. In some cases, the truck driver was clearly at fault, and the insurance companies will offer a settlement.
In other cases, the adjusters will ask to review the injured parties’ medical records and the evidence they collected at the scene of the crash. However, this settlement is likely to be less than the injured parties are entitled to receive.
The Possibility of Non-Economic Damages
The settlement may or may not be enough to cover the injured parties’ medical bills, but there are other legal issues which the injured parties may not be aware. These other issues involve non-economic damages, and they will need to be added to the claim before the injured parties will be able to receive them.
Non-economic damages are those that do not necessarily have a specific monetary value, including emotional pain and suffering, the impact of the loss of a loved one, psychological suffering and deformities that resulted from the collision.
Why Hiring a Semi Truck Accident Lawyer Is Important
Most of the time, an insurance company’s intent is to offer the lowest settlement possible or to keep from paying a claim altogether. Those who are injured will, most likely, be involved in a difficult fight to receive the least of what they deserve.
If they are entitled to non-economic damages, the fight will be even harder for them. For this reason, they need to protect their rights by hiring a qualified Texas truck accident lawyer.
Truck accident lawyers know how much in the way of non-economic damages they can request, and they know how to fight insurance companies for the compensation that their clients deserve. An 18 wheeler accident attorney knows exactly what evidence will be required to prove a client’s case, and if necessary, he can fight in court to ensure that their client’s rights are protected.
Contact Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers Today
If you have been injured in a truck accident, the skilled legal team at Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers can help. After an accident with an 18-wheeler, you are entitled to compensation for your injuries, lost wages, and other associated expenses.
Our League city truck accident lawyers have the training, skill, and experience to protect your rights after a serious truck accident. You’ve been through enough; let us handle the rest.