Texas Homeowner Policies | What They SHOULD Have!

According to Texas Department of Insurance (TDI), Texas homeowners should hold homeowners policies that should, at the very least, include the following coverages: (updated 11/2012)

  • Dwelling pays if your house is damaged or destroyed by a covered loss. Homeowners should have a COMPLETE understanding of what is actually covered. READ your policy. Familiarity is always good.

  • Personal property pays if the items in your house (such as furniture, clothing, and appliances) are damaged, stolen, or destroyed. Note: There are certain limits, so assumption of complete replacement could be incorrect.

  • Other structures pays to repair or rebuild structures not attached to your house, such as detached garages, storage sheds, and fences. Note: Depends at times, on HOW the structure was damaged. Know your policy.

  • Loss of use pays your additional living expenses (housing, food, and other essential expenses) if you must temporarily move because of damage to your house from a covered loss. Your policy will pay either a percentage of the amount of your dwelling coverage (typically 10 to 20 percent) or for a specific period after the loss (such as 24 months). Note: Again, depends on what caused the damage and whether or not the cause of damage is COVERED in the policy.

  • Personal liability pays to defend you in court against lawsuits filed against you or someone in your house and provides coverage if you are found legally responsible for someone’s injury or property damage. Note: Not all legal fees are automatically covered.

  • Medical payments pays the medical bills of people hurt on your property. It might also pay for some injuries that happen away from your home, such as your dog biting someone at the park. Abasic homeowners policy pays $500 in medical bills, but you may buy up to $5,000 in medical payments coverage.

Keep in mind, these are MINIMUMS. Certain parts of your homeowners policy can be “upped” or increased. Example, if your furniture is mostly antique, increasingthe coverage on personal property, wouldbe worth it in the event something catastrophic happens – like a fire.Most insurance companies carry basic homeowner’s policy explanations on their websites. It’s always good to know how to log in to your insurance company’s website and how to get to what exactly is covered in your insurance policy. It is not straight forward. In the event something catastrophic happens to you on your property, to your house or exterior dwellings, or to someone on your property, call 911. When the dust settles, check your homeowner’s policy or call your insurance agent. In the event you do not get the answers you want or think you deserve, seek legal advice.Most attorneys will listen to the facts surrounding your claim and advise you accordingly for free. Make sure you ask up front what payment expectations are. Here at Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers, we will always listen to the facts and tell you up front, whether or not we can help. Call today with questions.