Serious 18-Wheeler Crash Injuries
SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TODAY
Crashes with 18-wheelers frequently result in devastating injuries due to the sheer size and weight of these heavy trucks. In the U.S., 18-wheeler accidents account for one out of every eight traffic deaths. 18-wheelers accident injuries involving passenger vehicles are among the most catastrophic, life-changing injuries.
Any type of vehicular collision can produce serious injuries. However, the mass of 18-wheeler trucks can generate forces capable of causing catastrophic injury or death in a matter of seconds. If you have suffered the consequences of a catastrophic injury or the death of a loved one, you deserve full compensation for past, present and future damages and injuries. The only way to secure the compensation you rightly deserve is with the representation of an experienced personal injury attorney.
Following a 18-wheeler accident, we can help you maximize your compensation for serious injuries:
- Spinal cord injuries can range from neck and back injuries to crushed vertebrae, causing damage to this vital nervous system network. Partial or complete paralysis can result from injuries to the spinal cord. Because this damage cannot be repaired, the paralysis caused by these serious accidents is generally permanent and may become progressively worse over time. Many patients with spinal cord trauma require specialized nursing care for the rest of their lives.
- For accident victims lucky enough to escape direct spinal cord injury, the forces typically present in a collision with an 18-wheeler can cause lasting back pain and may result in misaligned vertebrae,trauma to the lower back and fractured bones throughout the spinal column.
- Pelvic bone injuries are also common due to the intense pressure on this area caused by seat belts, air bags and other restraint devices.
- The weight and forward momentum of 18-wheeler trucks during an accident can increase the likelihood that the 18-wheeler victim will require emergency amputation services upon arrival at the hospital. In some cases, accident victims may suffer loss of limbs or crushed bones at the scene of the car crash due to severe impact trauma. Immediate medical care is required in these situations to prevent death due to blood loss.
- Damage to the lungs and heart can result from broken ribs and the crushing weight of 18-wheeler trucks that can come to rest atop passenger vehicles. Surgery is usually required to repair the damage to the heart muscle and to restore proper function to injured lungs. However, the scar tissue that develops as these organs heal can result in permanent reductions in the lung capacity and heart function of accident victims.
- Head injuries caused by 18-wheeler accidents are usually quite severe and may involve fractures of the skull, swelling of the tissues and connective membranes surrounding the brain or direct injury to brain tissue due to severe impact at the time of the collision. Individuals affected by these injuries often experience memory loss,a decline in cognitive function and, in some cases, loss of speech and language skills. Damage to the optic nerves or brain can also cause blindness.
- Injuries to the abdomen may require emergency sectioning of the small or large colon or reconstruction of the stomach to allow the digestive system to function. Many 18-wheeler victims who undergo these procedures experience lifelong difficulties that may reduce their ability to absorb nutrients and can restrict their food choices significantly.
- The damage caused to internal organs in a crash involving an 18-wheeler truck can be catastrophic and may require multiple surgeries to repair. Some patients may require transplants or medical treatment to replace the function of the liver or kidneys after an 18-wheeler accident.
- Internal bleeding is also common due to the severe trauma caused by the impact.
- Flying glass and metal parts can cause catastrophic damage to soft tissues and may require multiple plastic surgery procedures to return the accident victim to an acceptable state. In some cases, patients may be permanently scarred and may suffer social disadvantages due to their disfiguring injuries.
- Broken bones and damaged muscle tissue may require months of rehabilitation and treatment. Accident victims typically cannot work during this time and may incur significant medical bills, creating serious financial difficulties that can impact the rest of their lives.
In the event of a an 18-wheeler crash, the trucking company sends a representative to the scene to speak with victims in an effort to protect the company and driver. When you are injured in an 18-wheeler crash, it is imperative that you speak with a qualified Texas 18-wheeler accident lawyer as soon as possible to protect your rights and ensure just compensation for your injuries.
We’re on your side. Contact us at (281) 645-5000 or email our team to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys.