Whether you are in a parking lot or driving on a quiet county road, car accidents can occur anywhere. The way your car collides with another car, animal, or roadside object can produce different injuries and vehicle damage. Here are the five most common types of car accidents.
- Rear-end collisions: Usually a rear-end collision occurs when a driver is driving too closely to another vehicle and fails to react when the leading vehicle brakes. They often happen during heavy stop-and-go traffic and can be avoided by leaving more space between your car and the one in front of you.
- Single vehicle accidents can occur for a variety of reasons including inclement weather, distracted driving, and swerving to avoid an animal or another road hazard. Unfortunately, unless you were hit by a flying object which damaged your car, your insurance will likely find you at fault for this type of accident.
- Side-impact collisions, commonly referred to as T-bone collisions, often occur at intersections or in parking lots. These accidents can lead to serious injuries, especially if a vehicle hits the driver’s side of the other car. In fact, according to a study published by the International Association of Traffic and Safety Sciences (IATSS), side impact collisions tend to result in more serious injuries that rear-end or even frontal crashes.
- Low-Speed accidents are most likely to happen in places where drivers are travelling at low speeds, but have many obstacles to avoid, such as parking lots. Typically, accidents at speeds under 10 mph are classified as low speed-collisions. However, it is important to remember that despite the low speed, these accidents can still cause serious injuries to the people involved.
Common causes of accidents
Most car accidents are caused by human error, and while most of them do not result in serious injury, nearly 40,000 people were killed in accidents in 2018. While this figure is frightening, the good news is that by driving responsibly you can help prevent future accidents.
Some of the most common causes of accidents include.
- Distracted driving including texting, eating, or even applying make-up while driving.
- Drunk driving
- Ignoring traffic laws including speed limits, road signs, and recommended safe following distances
- Driving in inclement weather is dangerous so if it’s raining or snowing sometimes it’s best to wait for the bad weather to pass
- Reckless driving such as speeding and driving aggressively
Reach out to a skilled Texas personal injury attorney
At Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers we pride ourselves on our track record of success. If you or a loved one are injured in a car accident, let us advocate for you. To learn more about how we can help you receive financial compensation for your injuries, call us today at (281) 645-5000 and speak to our League city car accident attorneys to schedule a free consultation or contact us online.