The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) is a federal law protecting full-time and part-time workers in both the private and public sectors. It establishes the federal minimum wage, overtime pay eligibility, child labor standards and record-keeping standards.
FLSA claims usually involve wage and hour claims or unpaid overtime claims that demand in-depth investigations. If you want to pursue full compensation for losses and back pay you are owed due to FLSA violations, it is important to speak with an attorney who has substantial experience in this area of law.
Wage and hour violations in Texas often involve the hospitality industry and industries experiencing strong growth, such as the oil and gas industry and high-tech companies. At Burwell Nebout Trial Lawyers, we work with people in Galveston, League City and throughout Greater Houston who suspect they have been victims of FLSA violations in a variety of industries. Based in Texas City, we have been protecting workers' rights in southern Texas for decades.
Determining if You Have a Case
- If you work in an industry or position that is not exempt from federal minimum wage or overtime pay laws, but violations of these laws have been documented, you may have a case. Documenting these violations is important.
- If there have been consistent violations, your case may be stronger.
- If other employees at your workplace have experienced wage or overtime pay violations, your case may be stronger.
- Is your position classified as exempt or nonexempt under the FLSA?
- Did violations take place within the last two or three years?
- There is a two-year statute of limitations for the recovery of back pay unless yours is a case of willful violation by your employer, in which case there is a three-year statute of limitations. However, this does not limit your possible recovery to just the last few years of violations if such violations have occurred over several years.
Our firm can handle all legal aspects of your case and protect you from employer retaliation, which is also illegal and a violation of employment law. Working with our team will provide you with timely resolution of FLSA violations and the maximum compensation you deserve for lost wages and additional damages.